Lead Data Engineer
London, UK - 7 months ago
At Datatonic, we provide businesses with cutting-edge data and AI solutions in the cloud.
We partner with Google Cloud to help clients take cloud technology to the limits. With Google Cloud Platform as our foundation, we help businesses future-proof their solutions, deepen their understanding of consumers, increase competitive advantage, and unlock operational efficiencies.
Our team consists of experts in machine learning, data science, data engineering, business intelligence, and design. We all share a passion for data, believe in a pragmatic approach to solving hard problems, and believe that with the right team and technology, data has the power to transform any business.
You will lead the data engineering part of our consulting projects, and will work closely with our architecture business intelligence, data science, and sales teams to design and build end-to-end data solutions for our clients.
- Lead the design and build of scalable, efficient, and innovative data solutions for our customers using our tech partners Google Cloud & Looker
- Build and manage the Data Engineering team
- Partner with our sales, engagement, and marketing teams to help define and refine our service offering, understand our client’s requirements, and assist in selling solutions to our clients
- Work in an Agile manner with the rest of our technical teams across devops, business intelligence, data science and machine learning
- 5+ years of experience building big data solutions.
- 1+ years experience building solutions in a Cloud environment, preferably on Google Cloud Platform.
- Experience with a range of big data technologies: e.g. Spark, Beam, Kafka, Flink, Hadoop, etc.
- Experience building production-ready real-time streaming analytics solutions.
- Extensive knowledge of different database technologies including relational databases, No SQL, OLTP, and OLAP
- Strong programming experience in both Python and Java, bonus points for Go and Scala.
- Experience building scalable and highly-performant code.
- Experience in producing tested, resilient, and well documented applications, including good knowledge of DevOps concepts such as CI/CD, infrastructure as code, monitoring and alerting
- Good knowledge of data warehousing and different modelling techniques
- Experience in architecting, building, maintaining and troubleshooting cloud infrastructure
- Excellent interpersonal skills, verbal and written communication skills; a team player and keen learner who loves building great things together
- Proven background in a team leadership role would be beneficial, but if you're looking for that next step and have the right characteristics for a lead role, we'd be happy to talk with you!
- Experience building scalable REST APIs using Python or similar technologies
- Experience with Agile methodologies such as Scrum
- Cloud experience in security/networking/infrastructure would be 'nice-to-haves', but are not essential
- Basic knowledge of and ideally some experience with data science topics like machine learning, data mining, statistics, and visualisation
- Contributions to open source projects
The Basics: 25 days holiday in addition to bank holidays, choice of laptop & pension scheme
Learning: Datatonic encourages continuous learning at all levels with a generous conference budget, freedom to explore the latest tools and technologies as well as regular knowledge-sharing activities
Career Development: A personalised development plan to ensure you hit your professional goals with a clear roadmap for progression
Impact: The opportunity to work on cutting-edge AI and ML solutions spanning multiple industries and with market-leading organisations
Innovation: Access to Datatonic LABs, our Research & Development hub. Experiment and bring forward ideas, create impactful and meaningful work in a creative and collaborative environment - even just for fun!
Office Environment: A modern office set in the innovation hub of Canary Wharf with complimentary fruit, cookies, tea/coffee throughout the day as well as a shared café and working space with panoramic views of London
Team Vibe & Social: A welcoming and friendly team plus regular monthly social events and team offsites (or remote events)
WORKING FOR DATATONIC
Our UK headquarters is based in a tech-centric environment in the centre of Canary Wharf. We also have offices in Stockholm and Geneva and we work with clients in many other European countries. We allow for flexible working hours and the possibility of remote work.
We’re an eclectic team with lots of different interests and personalities. We have many different roles across data science, engineering, analytics, consulting, marketing, business development, and operations. As a company, we have a strong emphasis on learning and professional development. Our core values are:
A hub for continuous learning, curiosity, developing ideas, testing things out - and then putting ‘excellence’ into practice.
Working collaboratively in cross-functional teams to achieve customer delight. We love what we do and draw immense satisfaction from taking responsibility and seeing the results of our work.
Creating positive change for our customers, using the most relevant machine learning and analytics approaches and the best technologies to meet real business needs.
Winning with Partners & Friends
Our business has been built on great partnerships and open-source collaboration. It’s one thing to be successful, but to do it in partnership with great people and other great companies is even better in our opinion.